My day at the junk yards

General Discussion Topic Archives
The Good Humor Man

My day at the junk yards

Post by The Good Humor Man »

I decided that since my other project is about done, it was time to start on all the little things that had to be done to my 67 GH truck.
I had to start with a trip to the junk yard yesterday, for some miscellaneous parts (could use a better passenger side headlight bezel, a window regulator, glove box latch, ect). We have 3 large junk yards in one area, so after chasing a tip of 3 old Good Humor trucks in a garage 20 miles away (not there), I hit the first one, I asked if they had any 67s Ford trucks about, and was told there was one in the back go check it out. Well it was picked clean, the second just said NO.
The third was disappointing to say the least. He laughed at me! He said good luck finding any in this state, the price of scrap went up last year, and anything that old got crushed. No use of getting $5 $10 here and there when they were worth more crushed.
I left feeling a little sad, so many good parts, GONE, :cry: worth more as scrap.
It took a big steak with a baked potato to make me feel better.
Oh well there is always ebay!
http://WWW.GoodHumorTrucks.Com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
67RED
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: My day at the junk yards

Post by 67RED »

so sad :( :( :(
steve
Life is 90% how you take it10% what you make it
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Don't forget your pals here too. We all acumulatively have a pretty good sized parts hoard. What headlight rim you need? Painted or shiney?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
The Good Humor Man

I have the aluminum grill, I bought from a junk yard before, the headlight bezel on the passenger side is OK, but little of scratched & dented, so I am always on the look for a better one.

I also need a window regulator for the drivers side, but being a custom truck, there is a modification to it, they have a piece welded into it to make it longer. I will take a picture of it Saturday, and if someone could tell me if it is even off a 67 ford truck. I know the window isn't a stock ford part. Being that it has a open top, (it has a roof that pulls over if needed) I haven't been to hot on jumping on the window project, but it would be nice, when caught be the unexpected rain storm.

Half the fun of the destination is the journey, so the junk yard trip was suppose to be FUN.

I also was disappointed that my tip of the classic Good Humor Trucks supposedly tucked away in a garage of a lady whos husband died years ago was just a old wifes tale. I will always chase down the crazy tips in hopes of someday one will materialize.
The Good Humor Man

Here is some pictures of my window regulator, anyone know if this is a standard Ford window regulator? There is a 2 inch piece welded in the middle of the arm.
The gears are stripped, can these be rebuilt?
Thanks
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

With the exception of the welded piece at the end looks like what I have

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
The Good Humor Man

Re: re: My day at the junk yards

wt4speed#2 wrote:With the exception of the welded piece at the end looks like what I have

Tony B

Thanks! :rock:
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

And bye the bye I just happen to have a left side it is not the greatest but it was working when I took it out .

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
1968flareside
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1968flareside »

I'll be picking up some complete doors from a 69 soon. I know my stock 68 left side regulator is fine. I'll let you know if I have a good spare.
1968 F-100 Flareside
1999 F-150 XLT 4X4
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10023

:fte: and :fr: DON'T FORGET!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yep, looks like a standard regulator, with an extended arm. I wonder why it's longer? :hmm:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

GHM- cool truck and cool website-one of my younger brothers lives near clark & devon- north chi.- ever been to Marengo? lived there for a short stint. jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
The Good Humor Man

Thanks for the complement on the truck and web site. I have been all over the area doing events, but never Marengo. I have drove thru it on occasion.
The arm is longer due to them making the sealed area where the drivers door would have been custom. It is a large area to cover, and a large window. The window is also not a standard ford item, but it is flat, so not a big deal if it needs to be replaced.
If someone has a regulator they would sell me, just email me the details, and I would like to buy one.
Thanks Carl
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

Yea G H Man, the trips to the junkyard are fun . For me . Except a few weeks ago when I took my wife for her first junkyard experience (in her car) and while we were in there someone ripped off part of her console out in the parking lot. Naturally they didn't have a Sunfire to get parts off of in there. She says that was her last trip.
The Good Humor Man

I noticed that in all three yard I went to that day they had signs stating that they were not responsible for item taken from cars in the lot. There were some shady looking people hanging around, so I didn't wonder far from my truck, I had stuff in the back I couldn't lock up.
The Good Humor Man

After 2 year I finally have a side window. I found a pair of window regulators on ebay, (yes I didn't need a pair) and welded in the 3 inch piece, and it works like a charm.
Being that is a open top, (it does have a flip over roof), no side door, and no way to lock it up, it wasn't a high priority, but last year after being caught in a rain storm on a chilly day, it went up on my list of things to get done, it will be nice to have a window to roll up.
I always hated to buy a regulator, since in didn't know what it was off of, due to the custom piece welded into it, BUT thanks to you guys I knew what to buy, to get the job done. Thanks. :D
Carl