Engine Temp Operating Range

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sharkdog

Engine Temp Operating Range

Post by sharkdog »

Just wondering what temperature a 360 engine is suppose to run as my temp gauge stopped working and I changed the thermostat and now the needle moves of the peg but I only seems to get to the start of the cold marking on the gauge. maybe a sliver past but it seems like my truck is getting real hot. I bought one of those point and shoot laser thermometers so i could get a separate reading but just wondering what i should see when it's idiling? The manual just says the needle should be in the middle of the gauge and that it's only over heating if it goes to the far right for more then a min.

Thanks
1970 f-100 360 c-6 2wd ps/pb longbox
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Engine Temp Operating Range

Post by cep62 »

depending on your thermostat about 180-190 ish.
If you fill the rad to the top it'll push out the overflow.
you need to leave room for expansion , unless you have a overflow jug .
which was not a factory option.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Engine Temp Operating Range

Post by bluef250 »

If the engine seems to be hot, it probably is. Install a mechanical gauge in lieu of stock sending unit to check.

Engine can be cool and exhaust leak can cause high under hood temperatures.

Is the radiator clean? the radiator may need servicing. Do the hoses callapse? Newer parts are less durable that OEM parts. Is the water pump circulating enough fluid? You should be able to see flow when the thermostat opens. Even new thernostate are bad. Remove stat and put it is water (needs to have thermostat in water) to see at what temp it opens.